The Jets and M&T Bank will partner to give a local small business their own sponsorship with the football team.
Since we are in the off-season of the NFL, most of the stories now are about team workouts or information on off-the-field happenings. For the New York Jets, they recently announced that they will be partnering with M&T Bank for a unique partnership.
The Jets will be working with M&T Bank to give a $100,000 sponsorship to a local small business. Local businesses have to fill out an application and five finalists will be chosen. These finalists will present their pitch to M&T Bank and Jets executives. As far as criteria, the Jets and M&T Bank are mostly looking for community involvement and fit with the team.
A free one-year sponsorship with an NFL team could do wonders for that small business. Moreover, the Jets get the benefit of good publicity and helping the local community. The only cost is eating $100,000 which is nothing for an NFL team.
The winning small business will receive several assets as a part of this sponsorship. First, they will receive stadium signage for the entire season and will also have visibility at training camp. Additionally, they will have their name and ads run on the Jets radio broadcasts and will receive a luxury suite for one game. So the winning business will receive more than just the added exposure.
1. An NFL sponsorship could forever change a small business if it is activated correctly. And in this case, it would come without a large up-front payment to obtain the sponsorship.
2. The Jets will receive great publicity from helping the local community and have created a unique story from their sponsorships.
3. M&T Bank is in the unique situation of sponsoring a movement to help a prospective sponsor. But they will also receive good publicity and brand awareness from putting their name on it.
4. From a professional team's perspective, think about whether or not you could afford to give away a free sponsorship. It is a unique and positive way to help your local market.
5. From a brand's perspective, your sponsorship and activations do not have to be the industry standard. M&T Bank is thinking outside of the box with this one and you should too.
Written by: James Campbell
James Campbell is currently in his Senior year at the University of Michigan. In May of 2018, he will receive his BA degree in Sport Management. Throughout his time at Michigan, he has worked with Detroit City FC, MiLife Sport & Social Club, and USA Hockey. - @Jimmy10Campbell